Satu kali setahun Nielsen Indonesia mengadakan perhelatan besar, yang biasa disebut Marketing and Media Presentation (MMP). 1 December kemarin, Nielsen mangadakannya lagi yang ke 34 kali, jadi paling tidak Nielsen di Indonesia umurnya sudah 34 tahun.
Pada dasarnya presentasi ini untuk meng-update para client dan juga potensial klien (lebih dari 1000 orang yang hadir) tentang pasar di Indonesia. Banyak data yang di presentasikan dan secara apik ditata sesuai tema yang akan di bicarakan.
Untuk tahun ini tema yang dipilih oleh Nielsen adalah tentang Middle Class consumers yang sedang hangat dibicarakan karena GDP perkapita kita lewat US$ 3000 tahun ini.
Banyak definisi tentang middle class consumer ini, tetapi Nielsen mendefinisikan Middle class sebagai konsumen dengan pengeluaran rumah tangganya sekitar satu juta sampai dua juta rupiah (1.000.000 – 2.000.000 rupiah) per bulan.
Banyak hal menarik yang bisa didapatkan disini, yang secara lengkap bisa dilihat di timeline twitter accountnya Nielsen Indonesia di @NielsenIndo yang saya sarankan untuk anda follow. Anda bisa search #NielsenMMP untuk mencari tweet tentang acara ini.
Saya mencoba untuk meng-arrange dan menyadur tweet dari @nielsenindo agar summary acara tersebut lebih mudah dibaca, mudah mudahan membantu. (note: @nielsenIndo sudah mengijikan untuk di share di blog ini… Thank you).
Without further ado please welcome….
Catherine Eddy : Session I: Opening- The growing of Middle Class consumers, what and who they are…
- Ms. Catherine Eddy, Managing director Nielsen is welcoming the audience at Nielsen Annual marketing & Media Presentation
- Nielsen MMP part of Nielsen Indonesia’s support for business issues that related to cosumers
- In 2008, Goldman&Sachs predict that Indonesia will reach USD 3000 GDP in year 2020
- In year 2011, IMF predict Indonesia’s GDP will reach nearly USD 3500, 2 times compared to 5 years ago
- When 3000 point reached, there will be a new class in citizen : The Middle Class Consumers
- 1 to 2 person lived in big cities is in middle class segment
- at this moment, Indonesia is the third biggest Middle Class Population in the world after China and India
- Nielsen defined Middle Class Consumer as consumers with household expanditure between IDR 1-2 Millions
- within this economic rapid growth, automotive, travel, and banking indutry will also increase
- all categories in FMCG purchase has increased almost 17% compare to year ago. Otherside, upper class only grow 5%
- Middle class consumers also spend their money to buy products that give them comfort
Change Speaker: Krisetiadi Purwanto and Hellen Katherina : The middle class consumer behaviour
- Biggest portion of HH expense is daily meals (37%) followed by transportation expenses (22%).
- While of these household expenses, 57 FMCG categories combined takes up 19% and 11% for cellular phones expenses.
- Cellphones becoming important for Middle Class, not only as means of communication but also tool for entertainment.
- Categories that experienced increase in consumer’s spending are detergent, frozen meat&fish, cologne, baby diapers & ice cream
- For Mid Class consumers, innovation is key. This increases experimentation & excitement for consumers, thus gives big benefits.
- In fragmented snack category, there are 500 new products in 2011. Innovation is key for growth of 13% in this cat in end of 2011
- Single pack ice cream is the growth driver, now 86% growing in home consumption…
- With more choices of biscuit, middle class’s consumption increases from 5% to 10% in the past 2 years
- Middle Class behavior of bringing lifestyle home has impacted in the increase of coffee products to 3x in 2011.
- One of the main reason to get Middle Class excited is product innovation, this makes them willing to reach their pockets deeper
Session II: Yudi Suryanata and Arief Rachman : The things that move them and emerging opportunities
- Mid Class shopper pny pola belanja yg unik. Mari kita lihat apa yang menggerakkan mereka dan mengambil peluang dalam situasi ini.
- Mini markets are easier media to accessed, to support their kids satisfaction and mom’s budget
- Middle Class housewives desire for self actualization as a success measurement besides as a household manager
- As a household’s financial controller, it’s a pride for housewives to gain more value added from money they spent.
- For Middle Class Housewives, distance between house and retail outlet give excitement meanwhile familiarity gives comfort
- For middle class consumers, promotion give more value and make them a smarter and happier consumers
- For Middle Class Consumer, predictability will offer anticipation and coziness while shopping
- Nielsen shows “EyeTracker” video that shows respondent patterns when shopping in retail outlet
- 3 opportunities that can be done in Modern Trade for marketer: (1) Product Placement will helps to increase basket size
- (2)The right packaging format will generate trials, (3)The right branding will make shoppers justify the product price
- 4 peluang yang dapat dilakukan di Modern trade oleh pemasar : (1) anak menjadi konsumen aktif, bukan hanya influencer
- (2) Produk placement yg dpt memperbesar ukuran keranjang ; (3) Format Packaging yg tepat bisa mendorong trial, dan
- (4) branding yg tepat dpt membuat shopper memaklumi harga dr produk
Session III: Viraj Jutani and Moch. Ardiansyah : Media and Mobile Opportunities in Middle Class
- Traditional channel remains strong as a communication vehicle to the middle class
- Media komunikasi untuk Middle class masih tetap mengandalkan media 2 tradisional
- 96% of middle consumer still watches television as their main family entertainment
- In the past 2yrs, sports programs have been the choice of Middle Class’ favorite TV programs
- Football match creates high enthusiasm for middle class to watch, especially when ‘Timnas’ play
- Next favorite programs after sports are still related to entertainment, such as drama series and its genre variants.
- Radio penetration among Mid Class is 26% and dominated by music with Indonesian Pop and Dangdut genre.
- Indonesian Pop Music listeners increased by 33% in the past 5yrs.
- Local newspapers pull more attraction among middle class readers due to topics which is relevance with their daily life
- For Middle Class, Crime news is still the most attractive section in npp, followed by sports and city news sections.
- Gadget & tech become attractive information for middle class consumer. Now,even middle class females are reading gadget media
- Middle Class teens learn about lifestyle from digital magazines, while print media are strictly for religious topics.
- There is unprecedented growth in mobile phones with 78% of middle class consumers using a cell phone
- In Ind, 22% of middle class is connected to the internet n their prefer access device is not desktop/Laptop but the mobile phone
- There are 78% who are not connected to the internet but most of them have a mobile phone and very much accessible using SMS/MMS
- Consumers are becoming numb to unsolicited advertising. They find it irritating and suspicious as a result of various SMS scams
- Only 20% of cons are interested in receiving advertising. if you can factor in ‘RELEVANCE’ for the cons – it will jump to 60%
- The operator can support marketers run very well targeted advertising campaigns based on demographic & behavioral information
- 2 out of 3 Digital middle class consumers are expected to be connected via smartphone by mid-2012
- Social networking dominates digital middle class consumer’s online activities
- Online consumers are more willing than ever allow brand to enter into their social space.75% have ‘LIKED’ the FB page of brand
- Digital middle class consumers generate media of their own. The medium allows them to – voice their opinion, (Cont’d)
- (cont’d) Decide based on the opinions online, and share experience in positive and negative ways.
- To get maximum impact, treat digital/mobile as a crucial component of the marketing mix. The key is ‘to integrate’
- Mobile marketing is entering into an exciting phase
- Marketers need to ensure that the opportunity for ‘engagement’ is realized by some innovative thinking
- Consumers who are allowing brands in their space, needs to be rewarded by creating highly ‘relevant’ interactions
- Brands have to be transparent in their engagements online, listen and acknowledge negative opinions
- Finally, It is about making an integrated communication to your customer
- Marketing to middle class is NOT just a simple marketing mix.
- Brands that could give customers experience to Explore, Touch and Feel, Give control, … (cont’d )
- (cont’d)..and Share & engaged to life will enjoy the success among middle class consumers
- That’s a wrap up of Nielsen Marketing and Media Presentation 2011. See you on the next Nielsen MMP
Untuk mendapatkan materi dari presentasi ini, silahkan menghubungi @nielsenIndo secara langsung